The Nebraska Synod Journey is a six-day experience held during the summers when there isn’t an ELCA Youth Gathering, and it’s open to youth who have completed grades 8-12 along with their adult leaders. The next Journey will be held July 7-12, 2019 in Chicago.
Journey participants will leave the Omaha area at 2pm on Sunday, July 7 in motorcoaches and travel east to serve in the Chicago metro area, learning from our neighbors there about how God is already at work in the community. Onsite partners in the city will include people from the Churchwide expression of the ELCA and staff of the Lutheran School of Theology in Chicago. Presiding Bishop Elizabeth Eaton will be part of Journey conversations on the afternoon of Wednesday, July 10. Participants will be housed at the J. Ira and Nicki Harris Family Hostel downtown. On one day of the Journey, each group will choose one excursion from various options in the Chicago area. No-cost options will be available, and some excursions may incur additional charges not included in the registration fee.
Each participating congregation is asked to register one adult leader for every six youth. Adult leaders must be at least 21 years of age. Congregations are asked to be attentive to the gender of adult leaders corresponding to the gender of participants.
Registration Rates and Information:
· Early bird (submitted on or before December 14, 2018): $425
· Regular registration (submitted December 15, 2018-January 31, 2019): $450
· Late registration (submitted February 1-28, 2019): $495
· Registrations are due by February 28, 2019.
· $100 per person deposit is due with online registrations.
· The remaining balance is due March 1, 2019 and must be paid with one check per congregation and mailed in with a copy of each participant’s registration form. Groups who do not pay their balance by March 1, 2019 will risk the cancellation of their registrations.
· Please register your group when you know who will attend, as we cannot accept placeholder names as a registration (for example, “Youth Female 1” or “Adult Male 2”) in order to qualify for early bird or regular registration rates.
· Most sleeping rooms will house 8-10 people in bunkbeds, and Journey planners will assign participants to sleeping rooms. An adult leader with specific requests for roommate assignments for youth should email Lisa Kramme by February 28, 2019.
· Space is limited, so please register early.
Steps to Register:
1. Have EACH youth and adult participant complete a Registration Form (see link below).
2. The primary adult leader should use the registration forms to complete group registration online.
3. A $100 deposit for each person must be paid online with a credit card when your congregation registers.
4. Each ADULT participant must complete a Volunteer Screening Form (see link below) and return it by June 1 to Lisa Kramme at 6757 Newport Ave., Ste. 200, Omaha, NE 68152 OR firstname.lastname@example.org.
· The remaining balance is due March 1, 2019 and must be paid with one check per congregation and mailed in with one copy of each participant’s registration form. Groups who do not pay their balance by March 1, 2019 will risk the cancellation of their registrations. More information on the balance due will be emailed to the primary adult leader following online registration.
5. If you need to request a refund, please note that the request will only be honored if emailed to Lisa Kramme by March 1.
6. Bring your hard copy of participant registration forms on the Journey so an adult leader from your group can have them available for emergency purposes.
7. Need to make changes after you’ve registered online? For CANCELLATIONS, email Lisa Kramme the name of the person cancelling. Requests for refunds will only be honored if emailed to Lisa Kramme by March 1. For ADDITIONS made after your group has registered initially, simply enter the new person into the “Primary Adult Leader” section, noting in the “Fee” section whether this person is a Youth or an Adult. You will need to enter an email for the additional person that is different than the email used for your group’s initial registration. If you are wanting to SUBSTITUTE one person for another, email Lisa Kramme the name of the person canceling and the name, gender and t-shirt size of the substitute being added and whether that person is a youth or an adult. Substitutions may be made until June 10, 2019 but a new person is not guaranteed a t-shirt of their size after March 1.